Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Paradise on this snowy day.



     This scene was an absolute blast to make. There are several aspects here that I've never incorporated into my work. First of all, some high detail textures, all of which are taken directly from Google Images. I claim no ownership of the textures. Secondly, water! Oh, sweet, translucent, reflective, succulent water. I have not learned how to render water physics yet. This was very simple to create. I made a plane and scaled it to fit the gap between the sand and the background plane. Then I used a solidify modifier to give it some depth. Then, taking the material for the plane, I made it translucent and reflective while giving it a blue hue.


     The first asset I created for this scene was the hut. It only contains 2 shapes, a cone with the bottom face removed and a cylinder with the top face removed and a couple of panels removed to make the opening. I didn't add any thickness to the hut because I was looking to make a semi-real/mostly cartoon scene.


     The palm tree actually took me quite a while to figure out what to do for the leaves. The trunk was easy, just take a cylinder and extrude it a couple of times, then scale it and rotate it how you see fit. The leaves I left flat to save on geometry and also to keep the cartoon look. The leaves were just a plane that I bent and cut to make jagged leaves. Then, it was just a matter of duplicating and rotating to get them into place.



     These are just some different shots of the same scene from multiple angles. I really had a great time working on this scene.

     -Eric

Edit: Looking at the scene I found an issue that I had overlooked. I left the palm trees emitting a small amount of light and they were not smooth shaded. So, making these changes here is the final render! Enjoy, and please feel free to let me know what you think!


Edit 2: Thanks to Masterxeon1001, here is a new final render. He suggested I edit the soft value on my lighting and use the ocean modifier instead of a normal plane. What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment